Fellow brethren and community, today a great man moved on from this world. Dr. Lavan Robinson passed on at 12:48pm today. As information on the service is made available it will be posted here.
On February, 14 2012 the Zeta Gamma chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia demonstrated their joy of music by serenading the lovely ladies around the Valdosta State University campus in honor of Valentine’s Day. The group of brothers traveled around to popular student gathering places enlightening groups of women to the lovely melody of Sinfonia’s beloved “Serenade”. Primed with a great satisfaction of audience members the chapter ventured out to local community spots to extend the delight beyond the campus. While achieving their goal of spreading joy through music, a greater sense of love and brotherhood was reaffirmed amongst all who participated.
Congratulations to our new Brothers of Zeta Gamma! We crossed the Alpha Beta Class on April 24, 2010. These men are:
Nathan Ollis, aka “Geico”
Hunter Casey, aka “Winona”
John Dial, aka “H.O.P (Hooked on Phonics)”
Inviting all interested brothers to sing with the Valdosta Choral Guild. This Spring’s concert is a completely American music program filled with folk songs, American hymns and spirituals.
The music list for this Spring is:
- Bright Canaan – arr. Alice Parker and Robert Shaw
- Come Away To The Skies – arr. Alice Parker
- My God Is a Rock – arr. Alice Parker and Robert Shaw
- I Will Arise – arr. Alice Parker and Robert Shaw
- Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal – arr. Alice Parker
- Beautiful Dreamer – Stephen C. Foster
- Gentle Annie – Stephen C. Foster
- Swanee River – Stephen C. Foster
- Camptown Races – Stephen C. Foster, arr. Jack Halloran
- Oh! Susanna – words and music by Stephen C. Foster, arr. Mark Hayes
- How Can I Keep From Singing? – arr. Bradley Ellingboe
- Ching-A-Ring Chaw – adapted by Aaron Copland, arr. Irving Fine
- Home On The Range – arr. Mark Hayes
- Elijah Rock – arr. Jester Hairston
- Ride The Chariot – arr. William Henry Smith
- Deep River – arr. Roy Ringwald
- Ev’ry Time I Feel The Spirit – arr. William L. Dawson
- Soon-Ah Will Be Done – arr. William L. Dawson
- Witness – arr. Jack Halloran
- Shenandoah – arr. Gerald Hartley
- I Dream of Jeannie – Stephen C. Foster, arr. Walter Ehret
The Valdosta Choral Guild is an SATB group that meets every Monday night at 7:30p.m. at the First Baptist Church in downtown Valdosta.
Invitation via Brother Andy Fore. Please contact the Webmaster for more information.
Dr. Lavan R. Robinson, the beloved mentor to the Zeta Gamma chapter, and VSU Professor Emeritus celebrated his 91st birthday today. Dr. Robinson holds a special place in all Sinfonians hearts for being the oldest living member of our noble order. In Addition to being one of the kindest and loving people you could ever meet, he represents a wealth of knowledge and life experience. Having greatly inspired the brothers of the Zeta Gamma chapter, they are now in their 6th year of hosting a music scholarship in Dr. Robinson’s name. Dr. Robinson is happily married and currently resides in Valdosta, GA.